You can detect physical overstrain by listening to your body. As well as evaluating your own symptoms, it’s worth getting your music instructor’s opinion and, if necessary, consulting a physician or physiotherapist specialised in musicians’ symptoms.
Typical symptoms among musicians are
- Muscle symptoms (stiffness, pain, weakness…)
- Neurological symptoms (numbness, stabbing pains…)
- Hormonal symptoms (menstrual dysfunction…)
- Metabolic symptoms (fatigue, weight gain…)
- System regulation disorders (sweating, chills…)
- Psychiatric symptoms (anxiety, sleeping disorders, depression…)
Typical mistakes when suffering from overstrain are
- Interpreting your body’s messages as ‘normal’.
- Masking your body’s messages with medication.